• Call Now
  • 651-468-4926
Helping you find homes that suit your needs.
Asian nurse happy with caucasian elder patient on wheelchair, outdoor view

Housing housing Stabilization Services helps individuals find the permanent housing of their choice and retain. We help them all throughout the process of selecting a home, whether they’ll choose to stay in their house with their family or somewhere else, and coordinate with them even after they are settled. HAC is also helpful for individuals who have poor rental histories and financial limitations.

This service is person-centered where the clients’ opinions and thoughts are placed at the forefront of considerations when selecting an environment they will live in. When you avail of this service, our professionals will create a plan that is based on their evaluation of your overall needs.


Individuals are eligible to receive Housing Stabilization Services (HSS) when they are enrolled in any of the following waivers:

  • Brain Injury (BI)
  • Community Alternative Care (CAC)
  • Community Access for Disability Inclusion (CADI)
  • Developmental Disabilities (DD)

A person can move to a new living environment from the following:

  • Hospitals
  • Nursing facilities
  • Institutions for Mental Diseases (IMD)
  • Family or corporate adult foster care homes
  • Intensive rehabilitation treatment and rule 36 settings
  • Unlicensed settings (e.g., the client’s own house or family home)
  • Registered housing with services establishments (e.g., customized living)
  • Intermediate care facilities for persons with developmental disabilities (ICF/DD)

Own home

What qualifies as an individual’s own home is the living environment that they own, lease, or rent where they have the freedom to choose their service provider and have full control of their household. A person’s own home is not owned or run by a service or support provider.

Covered Services

Housing stabilization services is delivered in four stages:
1. Plan
2. Find
3. Move
4. Sustain

Each of the stages includes various forms of assistance and must be delivered in order. The first three stages, namely, plan, find, and move include no more than 50 hours (200 units) each. The last stage—follow-up—includes no more than 50 hours (200 units) per year after they get settled in their homes. This is to check on their condition and overall adjustment in their new living environments.

1. Plan

50 hours (200 units)

The plan stage may include:

  • Meetings among the client, the lead agency, and HAC staff
  • Formulating a person-centered housing plan
  • Developing a budget
  • Applying for housing/utility voucher(s)
  • Looking for housing
  • Appointments with landlords
  • Completing rental applications

2. Find

50 hours (200 units)

The stage may include:

  • Continuing to search for housing
  • Helping the person understand and negotiate a lease
  • Signing a lease
  • Arranging deposits
  • Scheduling moving and packing services
  • Having an occupational therapist assess the house for modifications or assistive technology if needed
  • Getting household goods

3. Move

50 hours (200 units)

The moving stage includes arrangements to:

  • Pack
  • Move
  • Unpack

4. Follow-up

50 hours (200 units) per year

The follow-up stage aims to help the client maintain ownership of his or her home. The services under this stage may include the following:

  • Accompanying the client to housing-related meetings with his or her landlord
  • Educating the client about notices from his or her landlord about community rules
  • Following up about housing benefits

Non-covered services

Housing access coordination does not cover:

  • Deposits
  • Food
  • Furnishings
  • Rent
  • Utilities

Housing access coordination cannot duplicate other services or assistance available to the person, such as relocation service coordination or transitional services.

The transitional service, when used in conjunction with housing access coordination, can be used only for deposits, household goods, and moving expenses.

If you are interested with this service, please fill out the referral form.